The Icon Scotland Group events team have been working hard and have organised some fantastic events to satisfy your cravings for all things conservation! Suitable for conservators and non-conservators alike, take a look at the list below and see what takes your fancy!
1. A Practical Museum Pest Insect Identification Workshop with an Introduction to Integrated Pest Management
- Date: Wednesday, 2nd September 2015
- Location: University of Aberdeen Special Collections
- Cost: £ 50.00 Icon Members £ 70.00 non-members £ 20.00 students
Description: Workshop aimed at Conservators with experience and an interest in Museum and Historic House Integrated Pest Management, and will be particularly useful for those who are actively involved in insect pest monitoring. Students and others with less experience are also welcome. This workshop will reinforce the Advanced Pest Training held last year in Edinburgh and in 2013 in Glasgow. It also complements the National Museum of Scotland Pest Management Workshop of April 2015.
Find out more and book tickets here!
2. Summer visit to Jupiter Artland
- Date: Saturday, 5th September 2015
- Location: Jupiter Artland, near Edinburgh
- Cost: Free. £8.50 admission charge on the day
Description: Join us for an informal summer visit to Jupiter Artland! If you’ve always meant to visit, never heard of Jupiter or have been before, come along and enjoy a guided tour around the sculpture park.
Jupiter Artland is a contemporary outdoor sculpture park with a changing indoor exhibition, 10 miles from Edinburgh. The sculptures and landforms in the 80 acre garden have been a collaboration between the family, the artists and the landscape, since 2000.
On the day, please have £8.50 for ticket price, which will be valid all day. For travel to the venue please see their website
Book your tickets here!
3. Digital Photography for Conservators
- Date: Monday, 7th September 2015. 9.30am to 5pm
- Location: Education Room, The Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh
- Cost: ICON members £70, non-ICON members £90, student £40
Description: Icon Scotland Group are repeating a previous sell out event with Jason Revell from Northumbria University coming to lead a day of training in photographic techniques for conservators to include
- Getting the best use from your current camera
- Options available from the use of other cameras
- The theory of digital imaging
- Working with different file formats (jpeg, RAW etc)
- Lighting techniques
- Macro photography
- Ultraviolet and Infrared photography
There will be demonstrations and plenty of time to try out what has been covered using your own equipment, as well as ask questions on any issues you experience in your work. Lunch is included in the ticket price. Ticket prices are kept lower thanks to a grant from Historic Scotland.
Don’t miss out. Book here now!
4. Conserving the Forth Bridge: An UNESCO Heritage Site
- Date: Wednesday, 30th September 2015. 3pm-5pm
- Location: Logmore House, Edinburgh
- Cost: Free, tea and coffee provided
Description: The magnificent Forth Bridge has recently been inscribed onto UNESCO’s World Heritage List. This presentation, by Miles Oglethorpe (Head of Industrial Heritage and Digital at Historic Scotland) will briefly describe the background to the design of the Bridge, how it was built, and the materials from which it was constructed. It will then consider the condition of the structure, and how its owners, Network Rail, have brought it back to being in an excellent condition, just in time for the nomination.
Interested? Book here
What events or talks would you like to see being hosted by the Icon Scotland Group? Trips to historic places, lectures on a certain topic or training on specific area? All ideas and suggestions are welcome! Post your answers in the comment box below.