After the success of last year’s event, and by popular demand we are holding another ‘Paper conservators in Scotland news and ideas exchange’
When: 1pm for 1.30pm start, Wednesday 4th May 2016
Where: Centre for Research Collections, 6th Floor, University of Edinburgh Library, 30 George Square
Cost: Free! Refreshments included.
This event is designed to be an informal opportunity for us to get together to share news and information about our current work. We are looking for 5 minute presentations where you can talk about a topic that you think paper colleagues would be interested to hear about. We invite paper people of all levels of experience to contribute, and are hoping to have a very supportive and non judgemental afternoon.
There will be tea and coffee at the start, at the end, and the in the middle, so there will be plenty of opportunity to chat to colleagues.
Your topic might be about
- A challenging or complex treatment you are involved with
- An interesting detail of a treatment
- A conservation problem you are faced with at work that you would like colleagues’ ideas on
- A new technique or piece of equipment that you have been using
In May 2015 topics included
- A demonstration of lining with a hikkake pitching stick
- The challenges of preparing collections for digitisation
- Working with embossed paper: a discussion around treatment proposals for rolled squeezes
Presentations will be strictly limited to 5 minutes. To help on the technical side we would like people to send digital submissions for their presentations in advance to Ruth Honeybone who is hosting the event (email to email@example.com).
The space is limited to about 30 people. We are hoping that up to 20 presentations will be given. Please send requests to present / attend to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t be shy! There are lots of us paper conservators in Scotland and we meet up all too rarely. We hope that this event will, like last year, connect us better so we can support and help each other in the future. Read a review of last year’s event here.
Paper Conservators Event last year at the National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh